How to Make a Birthday Cake
Every birthday needs a cake but how do you make one? If you’re an expert baker you already know but here’s a guide for beginners.
First we will go through the basics of making a sponge cake.
This recipe is an all in one recipe and is best mixed with a hand whisk, don’t worry if you don’t have one a wooden spoon will also do the trick!
Basic Sponge Recipe
8oz Caster Sugar
8oz Self Raising Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Line 2 20cm baking tins with baking paper and grease with margarine so that the cakes don’t stick
- Break the eggs into the bowl and add all the other ingredients
- Whisk all the ingredience together until smooth
- Share the ingredience between the cake tins
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes. the cake should be golden brown and coming away from the edges of the tin.
- Turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack.
- Make sure the cakes are completely cold before decorating them.
The Cake Filling
Butter Cream and Jam
Mix icing sugar with butter until smooth and spread on 1 side of the cake. Spread the other side with jam. If you don’t want to make your own there are some alternatives in the bakery isle in the supermarket. You can add a couple of drops of vanilla essence or cocoa powder to the icing for different flavours. Basically keep it simple for kids as some of the party guests may be more fussy than your own kids.
Fresh Cream and Jam
For older kids or for the grown ups at the party there’s nothing like a cream sponge. Use Double or whipping cream and some nice strawberry conserve.
Decorate the cake
There are so many ways to decorate your birthday cake.
- Top with more butter cream icing but this time you can colour it with food colouring or stick sweets and decorations to it.
- For a more glossy finish mix icing sugar with hot water, colour or cocoa powder
- Buy ready made frosting to decorate your cake
- You can use your party theme to influence your decorating decisions or just make a fun cake, the choice is yours.
Ideas for decoration can be found on Pinterest but i’ve includes some of my favourite easy cakes here.